With close to 27+ years of work experience in varied industries like Finance, Banking, Insurance, Oil & Energy etc. Shailesh is currently Director & Chief People Officer at Max Life Insurance Co. Ltd. Been into various leadership role in various companies like Shailesh had worked across GE businesses, SRF finance, Eicher Tractors etc. Find him on Linkedin here
In a special conversation with Corporate Shiksha, Shailesh Singh, Director & Chief People Officer at Max Life Insurance Co. Ltd, he shares his perspective on Digital Transformation at workplace such as digital tools or way in HR funtion, modern communication and engagement tool, Artificial technology in HR, and various experiments and innovation at Max life Insurance which worked effectively etc.
Ques. How is the HR function in your organisation operating in the digital way? Are you using any digital tools, apps to deliver solutions? If you can share a case which has significantly given you results.
Answer: Once viewed as a one dimensional function that merely delivered employee services, HR is now being trusted with the task of leading digital transformation across organizations worldwide. At Max Life Insurance, our workforce is spread out in over 250 domestic geographies in addition to partner offices, rendering a greater need to design an integrated digital ecosystem that helps establish connectivity and culture.
- Digital workforce – In order to enables productivity and promote engagement, we have developed a set of unified self service offerings for our employees on our employee mobile app empowering employees to access payslips, plan leaves, recognize colleagues, refer friends/families, record interview feedback etc in a seamless manner. The rise of these digital initiatives there has been a remarkable reduction (of 20%) in queries raised via our internal ticketing system, (40%) increase in peer- recognition platform, and (50% increase) in employee referrals.
- Digital Engagement – From peer-to peer engagement through our intranet or leadership engagement through a quarterly business performance webcasts and informal interactions, we believ that digitization is the only way to maintain and grow culture across wide geographical spreads. Apart from formal channels, we are also experimenting with social networking sites designed for the workplace, to enhace the people-to-people connect in the organisation as well as to share relevant corporate and leadership messages with the organisation.
- Digital learning – At Max Life we have digitized learning and development by offering several e-learning courses on our LMS platform. The next phase of this will be the roll out of performance-based customised e-learning for our employees and agent-advisors.
- Connect and feedback – Our assessment tools such as 360 degree feedback and psychometric assessment for development and hiring respectively have also been digitized to improve efficiency.
- Digital Recruitment – We have made significant developments in the digitization of our recruitment processes at Max Life. Through our recruitment app, managers can create a requisition, provide interview feedback and read feedback from other interviewers. The app also allows recording interview feedback using both voice or text. Once offered, a candidate can access the on-boarding portal to upload the required documents digitally to the organisation.
- Internal referral –Employees at Max Life are encouraged to refer candidates form their networks for open positions in the organisation. This is yet another process that has not only been digitized but has also seen a significant uptake amongst the employee base.
- Compliance – Our digitization of background verification processes helps facilitates swift check and onboarding experience as well.
Ques. How is your organisation designing a working environment that enables productivity by using modern communication tools and promotes engagement. If you can share a case with us.
Answer: The shift in this regard is happening rapidly, as leaders are being pushed to take on a larger role in driving the organization to “be digital,” not just “do digital.” Our flagship a modern communication initiative, the Leadership Engagement & Recognition program is an all India webcast allowing employees to share updates, interact and ask questions (anonymously) to leaders to get more clarity. Our “virtual coffee session” with the leadership enhances both the engagement as well as reach in an efficient manner. We also invite special external thought leaders on a varied range of topics to share their experiences and success stories and interact with our employees, recordings of which are available for later review on the intranet. Other digital assets such as social networking sites for the workplace, our intranet eCube (SharePoint based intranet that is a repository of content as well as a networking platform) are helping us redesign talent practices by keeping social media feeds buzzing, thereby retaining the vibrancy of new hires in our organization. Our employee app gives employees round the clock access to 24*7 consultation via video/phone/chat anytime and anywhere, on all lifecycle processes such as aiding enrolment of dependents and reimbursements of medical bills, etc.
For our salesforce that spends most of theor time in the field, we have a Chabot functionality on Max Life’s mobile app, enabling sellers to access real-time performance dashboards. This is not only increased efficiency, but has also helped us build culture within our agent-advisor network.
Are you using any form of AI technology to deliver HR solutions? If yes, then can you Pls share more details and how is it helping you?
Answer: A new class of HR products and solutions, many built around mobile apps, AI, and consumer-like experiences, are making their way to recruiters so as to enable HR to become near real time. We at Max Life Insurance are evaluating multiple AI-based solutions to onboard and engage with our distributed workforce real-time. The objective is to enable employees to have real time interactions on key life cycle processes and “moments of truth”. With this we aim to drive accessibility of data with speed that enables performance, engagement and superior quality user experience.
Ques. What are you doing to continuously experiment & innovate?
Answer: To build camaraderie in the community, we are experimenting with social apps. We recently conducted a hackathon to help resolve 8 business problems for digital transformation which involved teams from multiple departments working in cohesion. We are also testing capabilities with one of the largest global social networking platforms to enable seamless employee connection on a single platform. In addition to that, we are evaluating SaaS and PaaS based products that will integrate all relevant data from various business functions i.e. HR; Sales, Operations, etc. and enable employees across levels with outcome driven data. Digitization of people scorecards (on-demand) is our latest work in progress.